^^^ RIGHT THOUGH? Can I get an amen please? I know what you’re thinking. That I’m going to go and rant about how utterly awful that phrase is and what’s worse is usually what comes after it. Well that is all true. But we already know all of that! Usually (more often than not) that phrase introduces a stressful conversation, confrontation of some sort or just a flat out confession – anything to make your stomach turn probably. Not fun. The good news is that since we’ve already got that established we can move on!
Want to know what this phrase means to me… and what I think it should mean? Is that WE NEED TO TALK. We need to talk about stuff! So here is what I think we need to talk about:
- We need to talk about our feelings.
- Lots of people have it in their head that they need to be strong and can’t talk about how they feel about things. They can’t tell someone they are sad or scared because then they won’t be seen as a strong, successful person. Or they can’t talk about how they feel about happenings that stir emotions in them because they fear their opinion might contrast someone else’s and they will be seen as stupid or uneducated. GET OVER IT.
- We need to talk about the
- Honestly we just need to talk about stuff. We are all people, we all feel sad and happy and angry and desperate etc etc etc. Be those things and say them out loud because that is how you learn, grow and move forward. Crappy things happen, in the world and in our lives. Talk about them. Processing. Most people will find they prefer to process things out loud. So do it. Call your friend, talk to a stranger. Live.
- We need to talk about our goals and dreams.
- We all have ’em and I believe that lots of us spend way too much time and energy pushing them away. I have too much to say here so I will leave it at this: Here’s a challenge… Say them out loud, to yourself, your friends, whoever will listen and see how quickly opportunities present themselves towards those goals and dreams.
- We need to talk about who we are.
- It’s a fun process, you know, going through this life and chasing after opportunities you want to experience. Learning new things, meeting new people, traveling, working in different jobs, getting married, having children, all of it! There is a lot that can be done and a lot to look forward to. Talk about it! You know how you feel about things, you know what you want to do and why you want to do it. All of this is largely to do with who you are. So speak out about it and DO NOT be afraid or ashamed. You are who you are and as soon as you realize that, you will accept yourself and become extraordinary.
- We need to talk about what goes on in the world.
- So much goes on in the world and if you speak up you can make a difference. Take every chance you get to help progress your world forward. Enough said.
That’s enough of me for the day. #ThoughtsforaThursday